Facility Changes and Updates – Should You Outsource These?
If so, How to Find the Right Company for the Job.
In every organization, there are regular changes to the facilities. These changes range from large reorganizations and furniture and equipment upgrades, to smaller, routine changes. While some of these can be easily handled by your internal staff, a number of these fall outside of their day-to-day functions or core expertise. These can include:
- Installing furniture and cubes for new hires; revamping existing workstations
- Reorganizing departments, labs, cafeterias, meeting rooms, etc.
- Setting up and breaking down special events
- Moving and installing computers and other desktop tech equipment
Which raises the question: should my company outsource certain facilities and office changes?
Whether you should outsource work that falls outside of routine tasks depends on several factors. Here are some key considerations to keep in mind:
- Complexity and expertise: If the changes require specialized knowledge or expertise that is not available in-house, outsourcing can be a viable option. External service providers such as movers often have the necessary skills and experience to handle complex or non-routine tasks efficiently.
- Cost-effectiveness: It is important to weigh the cost-effectiveness of outsourcing versus trying to accomplish the task in-house. While outsourcing will incur expenses, there are potential benefits, such as increased efficiency and access to specialized skills and resources.
- Time and resources: Consider the availability of time and resources within the company. Non-routine tasks may require significant time and effort to execute properly. If the company’s internal resources are already stretched thin, outsourcing will alleviate the burden and allow the team to focus on core business activities.
- Core competencies: Does the task align with the staff’s central competencies? If the task falls outside their primary expertise or strategic focus, outsourcing is a sensible choice. This allows your staff to concentrate on their strengths.
Ultimately, the decision to outsource such changes should be based on a thorough analysis of these factors, taking into account the specific needs and circumstances of your organization.
After you make the decision to outsource, there are several important factors to consider, ensuring you get the best company to fulfill your needs. Here are some key things to look for:
- Experience and expertise: It’s crucial to choose a company that has the relevant experience. They should have a track record of successfully handling projects similar to yours.
- Services offered: Ensure that the company provides the services you require. A good moving services provider will often offer a one-stop shop for a wide variety of these types of changes.
- Insurance and licensing: Verify that the company is properly insured and licensed. This will protect you from any liability in case of accidents or damage.
- Customization and flexibility: Assess whether they can tailor their services to meet your specific needs. Can they meet your timeframe? They should be flexible in accommodating your schedule and any special requirements you have. A flexible company that can work during evenings or weekends may be beneficial to minimize disruptions.
- Pricing and transparency: Obtain detailed pricing information upfront and ensure that it aligns with your budget. Look for a company that provides transparent pricing without hidden costs. Ask for a written estimate that includes all services and any potential additional charges.
- Equipment and resources: Ask about the company’s equipment and resources. They should have the necessary tools, vehicles, and manpower to handle the scope of your project(s).
- Project management: Evaluate the company’s project management capabilities. Will they assign a dedicated coordinator who can effectively plan and execute your jobs?
- Communication and customer service: Pay attention to how responsive and communicative they are during the hiring and vetting process. Prompt and clear communication is essential. Ensure they have a point of contact who will address your concerns and provide updates throughout the process.
- Reputation and reviews: Research the company’s reputation and read reviews from previous clients. Check online platforms, such as Google, Yelp, or industry-specific websites, for feedback and testimonials. Positive reviews and a solid reputation indicate a trustworthy and reliable company.
- Sustainable practices: If environmental responsibility is a priority for your organization, consider whether they have eco-friendly practices in place, such as recycling and minimizing waste.
By considering these factors, you will be well equipped to hire a reliable company that can efficiently and effectively handle your all your facility modification needs, both large and small. Overall, outsourcing these changes and updates to your business provides the organization with time and cost savings, and access to resources and expertise not available in-house, freeing your team to focus on their core competencies.
Let Sterling Handle all the facility changes that fall outside of your organization’s regular functions.
Our dedication to quality and customer service ensures you receive the support and convenience your organization requires to easily handle all these projects as they come up. Our service capabilities include:
- A dedicated project manager, available throughout the project, supervising and coordinating every aspect of the job.
- An open channel of communication addressing all needs and concerns as they arise.
- Planning and design services for additions and reconfigurations
- Regularly scheduled, on-site service with the same personnel routinely assigned to assure consistent quality.
- Off-hours implementation to reduce disruption and downtime.
- Adherence to all budgets and schedules
If you need help our team is here for you! Contact us today for a free consultation.